SEIU HEALTHCARE MICHIGAN (HCMI) PURPOSE:
SEIU is working to expand the movement and deepen the successful fights to raise employment standards and unite workers in organizing their union in the healthcare industry across Michigan.
SEIU HCMI is affiliated with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), which has more than 2 million members in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. SEIU HCMI is united with those 2.2 million members in a shared belief in the dignity of workers and the value of their work and in a commitment to a more just and humane society.
External Union Organizers at SEIU HCMI are responsible for bringing new members into the union either through external or internal organizing and campaigning. This position is a 6-month project position, with the potential to remain on permanent staff.
Any position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.
To conduct broad and intensive outreach efforts to workers by:
- Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead
- Building one-on-one relationships with
- Conducting individual/group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing
- Moving individual workers and groups of workers to take
- Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on industry
- Coordinating with workers to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
- Engage workers in our fight to promote racial justice and combat white
- Utilize your excellent active listening skills to determine workplace concerns by asking open-ended questions and listening more than you talk.
- Engage worksite leaders and member organizers around a vision of union difference and leadership that win union elections and first contracts.
- Articulate a plan to win resulting in the successful GOTV of worker votes in union elections or card check campaigns.
- Working to involve community allies in organizing
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and grassroots
- Possession of excellent listening skills and the ability to comprehend the concerns of
- Excellent interpersonal skills as demonstrated by the ability to relate, establish, and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- The ability to make and follow through on a work
- Sharp communication
- Basic writing and computer
- Willingness to travel for extended periods of
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, including some nights, weekends, and
- The ability to work with people from diverse
- Willingness to conduct house visits and work site
- Ability to manage your time independently and carry out work plans with minimal
- Ability to motivate and activate
- Possession of sharp problem-solving
- Possession of basic map navigation skills a
- Must possess a valid U.S. driver’s license, auto insurance, and an automobile for business
- Women and people of color are highly encouraged to
Our Culture & Position Information
Healthcare workers are a predominantly female workforce, and SEIU Healthcare members are committed to building respect and equity for our critical work that has been unseen or undervalued at times.
SEIU is the nation’s largest union of immigrant workers and SEIU Healthcare members have consistently supported and led our communities’ social justice initiatives including; racial justice, immigration reform, and affordable health care for all.
We value experience and also foster an environment where organizers have the opportunity to grow through mentorship, development programs, and on-the-ground training.
SEIU HCMI is committed to equal opportunity and encourages applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, genders, national origins, ethnicities, religions, and veteran status. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives to apply.
Benefits: SEIU staff enjoys top-notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental, and vision for employees and eligible dependents, competitive salaries, generous holiday policies, and a pension plan.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, and résumé to the Hiring Committee at: email@example.com.