Title: Data Systems Manager, SEIU HCMI
Location: Detroit, Michigan
SEIU Healthcare Michigan (HCMI) is a dynamic Detroit-based labor union representing
thousands of long-term care and hospital workers throughout Michigan. HCMI members are
active and dedicated, fighting to raise standards for healthcare workers across the state and
ensure access to affordable healthcare for all Michiganders.
HCMI is part of the two-million-member Service Employees International Union (SEIU). With
members throughout the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico, we are a diverse worker’s movement
that believes that all workers should be valued and all people respected—no matter where we
come from or what color we are; that all families and communities should thrive; and that we
should leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come.
Reporting to the Office and Operations Manager of the Union, the Detroit-based Data Systems
Manager is responsible for the maintenance of the Union’s membership database. This
position will provide user support and consistent and accurate analysis through reporting.
These reports will support the Union’s member and non-member engagement goals and be
used by leaders, representation, organizing, and political campaign staff.
Primary Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Responsible for maintaining the overall integrity and quality of the membership
database (UnionWare), including regular data improvement and hygiene, establishing
business rules, maintaining documentation of data and reporting protocols, assisting in
developing and implementing best practices, and report customization and analysis.
● Recording monthly member dues payments and voluntary political contributions that
align with the Union’s financial system, including reconciliation between the data and
● Communicating with Employers to collect up-to-date member rosters and
documentation of dues withholding.
● Tracking, reporting, and analyzing member data.
● Providing campaign-related data management and analysis during campaigns.
● Generate monthly summary and exceptions reports.
● Continually search and implement business process improvement.
● Provide technical assistance to users and troubleshoot database-related problems.
Manage the relationship with vendors, escalating issues that require immediate
resolution, and advocating for fixes/patches to the database programs when
● Create, extract, summarize, and compile data for required external reporting. Work
with staff and teams to satisfy ad hoc reporting requirements.
● Handle Security/System Administrator tasks like user account’s setup and roles
assignments in the UnionWare / NGP-VAN. Protect database.
● Perform other related duties as required by the organization.
● Three (3) years of experience with a relational database or CRM management.
● Strong data management and analytical skills.
● Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
● Proficiency in MS Office, including strong Excel skills.
● Familiarity with Unionware and Voter Action Network (NGP-VAN) is a plus.
● Must have strong attention to detail and problem-solving skill.
● Ability to effectively manage multiple projects of varying timelines and resources.
● Detail-oriented and well-organized.
● Motivated self-starter who can work independently and be an enthusiastic team
● Experience in the labor movement, organizing, or political campaigns is a plus.
● Commitment to social and economic justice is a plus.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary is $85,000 annually. In addition, HCMI staff enjoy top fully paid benefits, including
comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental, and vision for employees and eligible
dependents, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and an employer-
paid defined benefit pension plan.
Application Requirements: A resume is required for all applicants with a cover letter. Your
cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for HCMI; SEND APPLICATION
WITH RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO: email@example.com with “Data Systems
Manager application” in the subject line.
This position office is based in Detroit, MI, and is open until filled; however, the
posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time. Job descriptions do not cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of every required activity or responsibility.
HCMI is committed to equal opportunity and encourages applicants of all ages, races, sexual
orientations, genders, national origins, ethnicities, religions, and veteran statuses. We
encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core
organizational values and objectives to apply