SEIU Healthcare Michigan (HCMI) is a dynamic Detroit-based labor union representing thousands of nursing home, home care, and hospital workers throughout Michigan. HCMI members are active and dedicated, fighting to raise standards for healthcare workers across the state and ensure access to quality, affordable healthcare for all Michiganders.
HCMI’s is part of the two-million-member Service Employees International Union (SEIU). With members throughout the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico, we are a diverse workers’ movement that believes in all workers should be valued and all people respected—no matter where we come from or what color we are; that all families and communities should thrive; and that we should leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come.
Reporting to the Office and Operations Manager of the union, the Detroit based Data Systems Manager is responsible for accurate maintenance of the Union’s membership database. This position will provide user support and consistent and accurate analysis through reporting. These reports will support the Union’s member and non-member engagement goals and be used by leaders, representation, organizing and political campaign staff.
Primary Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Recording monthly member dues payments and voluntary political contributions that align with the unions financial system; including reconciliation between the data and accounting systems.
- Communicating with Employers to collect up-to-date member rosters and documentation of dues withholding.
- Tracking, reporting and analyzing member data.
- Training and supporting administrative and program staff to ensure consistent data collection and tracking; pull relevant list and other information from the database.
- Creation and refinement of custom reports, lists and technical tools to assist and support union staff.
- Providing campaign-related data management and analysis during contract, political and organizing campaigns.
- Generate monthly summary reports and exceptions reports that track new member and terminated member records for follow up.
- Responsible to maintain the overall integrity and quality of our members database (UnionWare), including regular data improvement and hygiene, establishing business rules, maintaining documentation of data and reporting protocols, assisting in the development and implementation of best practices, report customization and analysis.
- Responsible to optimize the use of the database across the organization by staying current on upcoming enhancements and guiding staff in the appropriate use of the existing functionality. Develop functional / technical specifications for enhancements and work with vendors to implement them.
- Continually search and implement business process improvements for function area of expertise. Gradually expand the organizational updating access for member database information without reducing the data quality.
- Provide technical assistance to users and troubleshoot database related problems. Manage the relationship with vendors, escalating issues that require immediate resolution and advocating for fixes/patches to the database programs when appropriate.
- Develop / maintain databases for various projects and teams.
- Create, extract, summarize, and compile data for required external reporting. Work with staff and teams to satisfy ad hoc reporting requirements.
- Create templates for the Finance department and extract / load data in UnionWare and QuickBooks.
- Handle Security/System Administrator tasks like user accounts’ setup and roles assignments in the UnionWare / NGP-VAN. Protect database by developing access system and specifying user level of access.
- Perform other related duties as required by the organization.
- 3 years of experience with relational database or CRM management.
- Strong data management and analytical skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including strong Excel skills; ability to learn internal data and workflow systems required.
- Familiarity with Unionware and Voter Action Network (NGP-VAN) a plus.
- Familiarity with advanced data processing tool like SQL or python is encouraged.
- Attention to detail and effective problem-solving skill.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects of varying timelines and resources.
- Detail oriented and well-organized.
- Motivated self-starter who can work independently, as well as be an enthusiastic team player.
- Experience in the labor movement or with organizing or political campaigns a plus.
- Commitment to social and economic justice a plus.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is negotiable based on relevant experience. HCMI staff enjoy top fully paid benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and an employer paid defined benefit pension plan.
Application Requirements: A resume is required for all applicants with a cover letter. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for HCMI, SEND APPLICATION WITH RESUME AND COVER LETTER THAT INCLUDES SALARY REQUIREMENT TO: email@example.com with “Data Systems Manager application” in the subject line.
This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time. Job descriptions do not cover or contain a comprehensive listing of every activity or responsibility that is required.
HCMI is committed to equal opportunity, and encourages applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, genders, national origins, ethnicities, religions, and veteran status. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives to apply