SEIU Healthcare Michigan (HCMI) is a dynamic Detroit-based labor union representing
thousands of nursing home, home care, and hospital workers throughout Michigan. HCMI
members are active and dedicated, fighting to raise standards for healthcare workers across the
state and ensure access to quality, affordable healthcare for all Michiganders.
HCMI’s is part of the two-million-member Service Employees International Union (SEIU). With
members throughout the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico, we are a diverse workers’ movement
that believes in all workers should be valued and all people respected—no matter where we
come from or what color we are; that all families and communities should thrive; and that we
should leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come.
Reporting directly to the chief officer of the union, the Office and Operations Manager is a new
senior-level staff position that is responsible for a broad range of administrative functions that
serve to protect the integrity of the union’s data and finance systems, ensure compliance with
internal controls and with the regulatory environment governing labor organizations and attend
to the efficient operation of the organization and its offices.
- Provides logistical support to the department for staff meetings, key events and assists campaigns with booking local travel.
- Orders and maintains all inventory of equipment and supplies.
- Acting as primary liaison with building management and vendors for: repairs, cleaning and
- Recommend modification to systems and policies that improved the operation and
efficiency of the union.
- Oversee the proper maintenance of the union’s official records and compliance with the
union’s document retention and disposal policy.
- On-boarding new hires check HR forms and follow-up as needed.
- Manage the bi-weekly payroll via Paychex (a contracted payroll service).
- Serve as administrator for staff benefit accounts.
- Track use of approved staff paid time off.
- Keep written Personnel Policies and Financial Procedures up to date.
- Operate as primary liaison with the outside accounting and bookkeeping firm that manages the local’s finances.
- Submit all invoices received at the local’s office for payment by the outside accounting
and bookkeeping firm and monitor for timely approvals and payments.
- Deposit all incoming checks, including those from employers for members’ dues, and
file copies of checks and associated backup electronically.
- Provide information as needed to the local’s outside accounting and bookkeeping firm
for the firm to reconcile and code credit card transactions and other expense
- Advise HCMI leaders on financial decisions when asked and recommend modifications
to improve systems.
- Receive, and circulate as directed, monthly and annual financial statements and other
financial reports from the outside accounting and bookkeeping firm.
- Work with the local’s independent auditor and outside accounting and bookkeeping
firm to ensure access to documents and reports necessary for completion of the local’s
annual audit and DOL and IRS filings.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required plus a minimum of three (3) years’
experience working in an office setting with increasing responsibilities Labor movement or
non-profit mission driven organization experience is a plus.
Or, a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following
knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Commitment to social justice and union values.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated skill in providing a high level of support to multiple stakeholders.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software, Google Apps, and Date software systems.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision to accomplish goals and
- Ability to use high level judgment and demonstrate leadership qualities.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with all levels of staff, leaders, members
- Skilled in supervising, supporting and developing staff to high performance.
- Must be detail-oriented, self-motivated and self-reliant, patient and flexible as this new
position in the local evolves.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is negotiable based on relevant experience. HCMI staff enjoy top fully paid benefits
including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and
eligible dependents, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and
employer paid defined benefit pension
A resume is required for all applicants with a cover letter. Your cover letter should include
salary requirements. SEND APPLICATION WITH RESUME AND COVER LETTERS TO: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Office & Operations Manager application” in the subject line.
This position is open until filled; however, the posting/acceptance of applications may close at any time. Job descriptions do not cover or contain a comprehensive listing of every activity or responsibility that is required.
HCMI is committed to equal opportunity, and encourages applicants of all ages, races, sexual
orientations, genders, national origins, ethnicities, religions, and veteran status. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives to apply.